Friday, May 16, 2008

THIS BOOK MAKES ME SO HAPPY!

If ya’ll remember, I have asked for prayer for me and my language teacher as communicating with each other has been such a challenge. I am pleased that the rocky start we had was the beginning of what I see to be a long relationship. The last 30 minutes of class every day we spend reading the book of John. I have it written in Pulaar before hand and then we read what I wrote. Next, I rewrite in English, just above what I wrote before in Pulaar. As we read, sometimes I have a language question and we stop and look it up in one of my dictionaries or he would explain it to me. I’ve told ya’ll before that his best friend became a believer a couple of months ago. I remember asking the new believer if he talks with my language teacher about the Bible and he gave me a response that I never will forget, “He’s my best friend. We have known each other since we were young. I talk about it every time I see him.” That really inspired me. My teacher always tells me that he is very happy when his is reading the Bible. I decided to be very direct and ask him if he believed the Bible and he answered a very direct and quick, “Yes.” So then I asked him, “So, you’re not a Muslim, you’re a Christian?” He had a short pause like he never thought about it before and then he pointed to the Bible and told me that it’s the truth and the only way to get to heaven. I was very happy to hear those words but I was also saw that with this new decision there are a lot of circumstances that will greatly change his life now. So, I did the only thing I know to do; I continue to be his friend and continue to pray for him.
The other day he surprised me greatly and told me something that I will never forget. He was very excited and was telling me about “the last days” and how Jesus was going to be the Judge on that day. I told him about another story that talks about that and opened up the bible to Matthew 25. I told him to read the parable of the sheep and goats and that we would talk about it the next day. Being African I knew he knew a lot more than me the differences between goats and sheep and he seemed to understand the parable very clearly and sounded very proud. He said, “I am a Sheep owned my Jesus.” Beautiful, huh?!
On a lighter side I will be spending the next couple of days on vacation. I will be taking a bus to the capital city and will be spending about 5 days with my friend Roy from training I had back in November and December. On the way back, instead of the 12 hr drive, I will be taking a overnight boat and a 3 hr drive. I’m super excited to be able to talk with my friend Roy again and can’t wait to see what God has in store for me over the next couple of days.

No comments: