Friday, July 10, 2009

MY NEW HOME

As you know I have been in the process of moving. This past week I said my goodbyes to my friends in Kolda and said hello to a new city, new friends and new team mates. Early Monday morning I put all my stuff on a small bus (including my motorcycle) and made an 8 hour trip to my new home. No sooner did I arrive than I learned my sister had also had a big day in Texas delivering my new niece. Welcome baby Ruth!
Things have gone very smoothly here. Communication is a bit different than I'm used to but I'm being shown taranga "hospitality" everywhere I go. This new home has many more tourists and the Peace Corps has a strong presence. I'm staying at a hotel and should be able to move to my home within a week.
I'm keeping this short because I have much to do. It's cool to have the opportunity to see if I'm smart enough to have learned from my prior mistakes as I settle in a new place and meet new people.
Thanks for the prayers. I have definitely felt them.

3 comments:

Jackie Lura said...

Awww Congrats Uncle Erik!

Meg, Stephen, Sam and Ruth said...

We miss you, Erik. We're glad you're getting settled, but we're also glad we're one month closer to giving you a hug and spending with you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik. We were able to visit with your Mom and Dad here in DC for a short while. (Your parents are awesome people.) They gave us all the latest information on you and your mission. We are very proud of you. Please stay safe. We love you and pray for you daily. Rynda and Dave