Thursday, July 30, 2009

A FIVE DAY TRIP IN TWELVE DAYS!

A little detour has kept me from updating you lately, but sometimes when you're in Africa, you just have to roll with the punches!
I got settled into my new home in Kedougou and then decided that I needed to make a trip to Dakar, the capital city. I was having a toothache, I had some problems with my computer and I needed a VISA for a future visit to a country to the south. The trip was supposed to take about five days. I planned to get some supplies I needed and enjoy some good food. But sometimes things don't turn out like we plan and the five days turned into twelve. Turns out the computer spent a full week in the shop and the guy said he spent thirty hours on my computer! Good thing I didn't have to pay that with the American hourly wage rate. The dentist didn't charge me (turned out to be a sinus problem!) and the rest of the trip was great.
This evening I will take an all night drive to get back home and then more fun begins! I have four months left here in Senegal and at least six months of research to do. I have a group coming later in August and my dad is actually coming back to visit in September. December will be here before I know it.

1 comment:

Jackie Lura said...

wow erik! i can hardly believe you have been there a year and a half. I cannot wait to hear all of these stories in person! I keep hearing that you might be a bianca and brett's wedding? is this true?