Saturday, November 15, 2008

A CHANGE IS COMING!

As I look back at the time I’ve spent here in Africa, there are times that I can’t believe how quickly time has passed and there are times that it feels like it’s been way over a year. As you know most of my time so far has been spent learning the language and culture. If you remember, it was back in July when I took my first major test to see how far along I was. I was just a few points off from being right on schedule. I made some changes and got right back to trying to learn this language.
My confidence in the language of Pulaar gets stronger everyday, but sometimes I still find myself messing up on words or hearing a word that I don’t know. As the title explained, my time devoted to learning this language is coming to an end. Towards the end of December or early January I will take the level 2 test to see if I have met the requirement to start my research work among the Fulakunda.
Please pray for me as I continue learning this language. During the next few weeks I will be trying to fill in many of the gaps that I have in preparation for the final test. Pray that the time with both of my language teachers will continue to be fruitful and that I will find many more opportunities to share my faith. I’m ready for the change and ready to use my new language that I have been working on since I arrived in January. Another exciting opportunity is that my dad is coming to Kolda in January. That means that he will possibly be around as I begin my new work. I am definitely looking forward to a change!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will definitely pray for your new brother and for your continued improvement in the language. Thanksgiving won't be the same without you again.... I guess I'll have to eat your portion again this year :) but that's okay, I'm willing to suffer. Just kidding...we do miss you, but it feels like your not too far away, with your blogs and facebook and all. Love you Lots! Your Aten clan.

Pamela said...

Erik! It is so exciting to see the work God is doing through you. Praise God!