Thursday, January 1, 2009

and a Happy New Year!!!!

2008 has come and gone. I remember it was this day last year that I got on the plane to go to Senegal. I remember switching planes in Chicago and totally getting lost in the airport and being amazed because there was so much snow outside (and the last time I want to see snow for a long while). I arrived in Senegal on the 2nd and I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. For this blog I just wanted to share some of major events or lessons that I have learned over the past year.

I can communicate in another language and also know how to communicate when there is no language in common.

I have learned how to play soccer in the sand.

I have spent time making something that I would like to have and found much joy in making it myself or with the help of my African friends.

I have 6 hours towards a Masters Degree.

I have seen the Lord open the heart and welcome new believers.

I have seen the Lord close the heart of an unbeliever and had to move on to share with someone else.

I have been encouraged by the many people who have come from America for a short time but yet have the same if not yet an even stronger passion to reach out to the lost people in the world.

I have made many new friends, some who were believers before I came, some who have become a believer in the time that I have been here, and some in which I am still praying that their hearts will open up to the truth.

2009 is here. It’s going to be a big change, and I’m ready. In a few days my father will come and I will spend about 2 weeks with him. After that I will take my test for Pulaar and in February I should be able to start my research, meaning I will be spending my nights away from Kolda and meeting many new people and hoping to plant many seeds.




Here’s the picture of that Santa I promised. It's in front of the Christmas tree at the Bradford’s home, where I celebrated Christmas and New Years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays, and Happy Anniversary, Erik!

Pamela said...

Yay! I loved your recap of 2008 Erik. I think it is important to take note of how God is moving so we don't take it for granted. I met a guy from South Africa today! He spoke Enlgish and Africaaans (I clearly don't know how to spell that). I hope you had a very merry Christmas and I pray you will have a fun and busy and effective new year!!!!

Anonymous said...

The Santa is...uh...great. :) I miss you. Hope you're having fun with Daddy.