Friday, March 21, 2008

A LOT OF LESSONS IN ONE DAY!






Alright, I knew that this story would be hard to believe so I got some pictures too. This first picture is my back yard, (I guess you would call it that). I got a bunch of those squares all over the place and I never really investigated them, so I thought I would take a peek. And as you can see it’s my drainage system. I played around a little and found out that this is all the junk that comes from my kitchen sick. I was done playing and I grabed the cover to put the lid back on and my phone falls out of my shirt pocket and down into the yummy water. I stood there like five minutes staring at the water trying to figure out what just happened. I learned a lesson: shirt pockets may be convenient, but when you least expect it, they will turn on you. So I’m standing there, and since I was also in the middle of me lunch I quickly returned but to my food. During lunch I decided that the phone might be dead but if I got it back, I could get the sim card back and save the hassel of changing numbers. After about ten mintues of debating with myself I got enough courage, put on my swin siut and went after the phone. It took my a while to climb down. It was hard with just that little hole and small space, but as I got down there I was very lucky (yeah, I’ll say lucky), The water was only about two feet deep and I only had to put one leg in that water. I found my phone and climbed back out and took like a ten minute shower. I was happy because then I didn’t have to tell everybody the embarssing story about how I lost my phone while I’m giving them my new number. I learned a lesson. I got my phone, took it apart, as much as I could, and told myself that I would try it out tommorow. The next morning I put my phone back together, and it worked!!!! The thing dried out in less than 16 hours. I learned a lesson, the African heat has some uses!!! I was all happy about my phone, but then the next day I found out that it was too good to be true. My phone didn’t charge. I looked up in my books all the words that I needed to know to explain the story and off I went to see if anyone could help. I go to one place where the dude speaks some English, but the guy sends me about two streets over where the dude is a specalist on batteries. That dude sends me to someone about a kilometer away. After a lot of help, I found the right place and tell the story. He said to give him 8000 CFA (about 8 or 9 bucks) and he would fix it. I knew I was giving him too much, but I was just happy that he said he could fix it. Anyways I sat there and watched him take the thing apart and put it back together like three times as he was looking for what was wrong with the phone. He was also fixing three other phones at the same time. He never found the problem but he gave me a charger that would work. Now when I need to charge my phone I take out the battery and connect to the charger. I got a picture cause it’s real hard to explain.


It made me think back to when my phone back in America broke and no one wanted to help me. My African experience was ten times better. I learned a bunch of lessons on this adventure…. STUPID SHIRT POCKET!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's pretty cool that my Facebook status for that week talked about shirt pockets. So random.. and you're all the way in Africa. Darn you shirt pockets! **Shakes his fist in the air** =)