Tuesday, March 18, 2008

PICTURES TELL STORIES

The other day I was hanging out at the same compound where I almost passed out from dehydration. They were showing me a bunch of pictures that they had. It’s really interesting that in their photo album this family had, they had the regular pictures of them staring at the camera or making a really funny face, but in the mix of their pictures were two other white girls. They told me that one was from Germany and was here 5 years ago, and the other was from Switzerland from about 3 years ago. It made me wonder about this family. It is very uncommon for a family to have a white person as a friend and this family has had at least 3. Please pray that THIS white guy will be different. I have no idea who those people were or why they came to Kolda, but I hope that this family will see more than just another white guy. Pray that they will see that Jewish carpenter that wants to know them. Anyways, let me get back to the pictures. They were showing me pictures so I thought I would pull out some of the pictures that I have. I had a bunch of pictures of my family, and they were very impressed with the pictures and that I could describe who everyone was. I knew I would need to know all the words for family so I’ve been practicing them a lot. This one girl in the family, I think she’s 8, asked for one of the pictures. I asked her which one and then she showed me a picture of me and my nephew Sam. “Bbiddo jaja am – baby older sister mine.” It’s this picture right here.

Then her mother asked her “Why do you want that picture?” and she responded “It’s a picture of Erik.” The mother then said, “That’s not Erik. That guys is huge!” I then shook my head yes and said, “That’s me!” She had to show the picture to everyone in the room again and ask what they thought.
Here in Africa it’s too hot to wear tight clothes, you wear big baggy clothes that don’t show off your physique. Ok, Ok, maybe I have lost a little weight, but not that much! It sure does make you think, right? I know that I’m eating more than I did in my college days, but I guess when rice is over half your meals your body starts to adjust. Or maybe it’s the fact that I haven’t had a Whataburger in over 3 months! MAN, I really want one of those right now!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

been waiting for a whataburger comment! Good job, Epie, keep up the good work!
-Roy